Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Motivation behind the Marathon


      People run marathons for many different reasons. Some run to benefit a charity and worthwhile causes, from disaster relief to fighting cancer or other disease. I am excited to say that this May I will be running my first 1/2 marathon for 2 of my children who have juvenile diabetes and my friends oldest daughter who has this disease. Running for something that is bigger than you is a great way to stay motivated and keep training. The people that you meet during training and during the race are some of the most motivated people you will every meet.
     I watched my first marathon this past weekend and it truly was one of the most inspirational events I have witnessed. I never thought I would be tearing up during a race but I was wrong. To stand toward the finish line and watch people in their 70's and 80's finish a marathon is very inspiring. I witnessed many parents who carried there young children in for that last stretch of the race. One dad has his son with Down Syndrome run the last 100 yards with him and to see his son's face filled with pride of his father is a moment I will treasure forever.
     Beyond helping you to lose or maintain weight, there are lots of other health benefits of half marathon or full marathon training. Running will strengthen your heart and ensure the efficient flow of blood and oxygen throughout your body, which helps decrease your risk of a heart attack. Exercise is one of the best ways to naturally reduce your blood pressure if it's above normal and it can help keep high cholesterol in check. Running also improves your immune system, so your body functions are more effective and efficient at fighting off germs.
     You do not have to be the competitive type to enter a race now and then. You will find that lots of other racers aren't overly competitive either. Racers like myself are out there because it is fun and social, and it motivates us to keep on running.
     Happy running and peace to you ~~~ Kelly Jeffrey


                                      

         


No comments:

Post a Comment