Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Essential Oils for the family


    I regularly incorporate aromatherapy into my daily life to help me and my family emotionally and to aid in our physical well-being. Essential oils are extracted from leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, herbs, brushes, shrubs and trees through distillation. They have been used for medicinal and healing purposes for thousands of years. Clinical studies are currently underway in many countries to test the healing properties of various oils, and in the United States, many practices are starting to realize the benefits of essential oils.

     It’s important to purchase the purest essential oils available. I use Young Living brand oils which after researching found to be one of the purest oils.  Research the product line to ensure the items are organic; anything else could do more harm than good. Avoid the temptation to go for the cheapest option, which is likely mixed with synthetic chemicals or heavily diluted. Also, be sure the oil is sold in a dark glass bottle. This will ensure light doesn’t get to the oil, deteriorating it over time. Keep the bottle in a cool place in your home to guarantee you get the maximum benefit each time you use it.
     From the array of essential oil selections, each has its own unique properties. I suggest starting with the basics, such as lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, ginger, peppermint, orange or lemon. It’s also helpful to purchase a dictionary/reference guide to familiarize yourself with the different oils and find what’s right for you. I bought a book called Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie and Alan Higley.

     Essential oils carry the essence of the plants in such a potent form that a single drop of essential oil can equal multiple teaspoons of the dried herb (for instance, 1 drop of peppermint oil equals more than 25 cups of peppermint tea!). And they can be used or applied in a multitude of ways and combinations to bring powerful results to your tasks, atmosphere, and bodies.

     Enjoy researching these oils and please contact me if you have question. I am really passionate about using these essential oils in our daily lives. I make my own face cream, foot creams, deep conditioning treatments for my hair and body creams. The benefits I have seen in my life and my family are amazing. Enjoy researching ~~ Kelly Jefffrey



 


                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment